I know... My studies have taken most of my time and for a reason. I'm trying to build my future here. My solid empire from a scratch, so to speak. But then again writing comes naturally to me and it's easy for me to just write, so blogging should be easy?
Anyways back to the point. Couple days a go I had a chance to participate in our class's very own moot court. It was one of those moments where you realise that this is it. This is my calling. I genuinely felt that.
I was appointed to represent the government and to argue whether freedom of expression can be limited. Along with my colleague, we argued that yes, in certain cases it can be. That is simply logic answer. But is it still humane enough to argue that when we have so called universal human rights?
Now don't get me wrong, I intent to study human rights law in the near future and possibly do a career in that field. But the whole case wasn't about basic human rights even though the other side tried to argue that regardless of the truth.
The case was about yellow journalism, and the journalis had an intention of destroying city officials and their reputation. When we argued that in certain cases freedom of expression can be restricted, we ment exactly moments like this, where someone accuses other person for allegedly doing something that never took a place. This was case,where person of media bullies whole the bunch of people just because they're not doing their job good enough in their opinion, shouldn't be allowed.
But that is naiive of me to say isn't it? Anyway it just made me think that sometimes even though facts are on your side, people aren't. We ended up losing the case, because in Finland human rights are very, very important and they're not taken for granted.
Here is a great video I found online explained what human rights really are.
To all my readers, hope you're Monday started greatly.
It's finally spring here in Finland!
xoxo Narcissa
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti